DAVAR
Hebrew Dictionary Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

oil & wine

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Original Tongues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:14 am    Post subject: oil & wine Reply with quote

The Hebrew and Greek roots where oil & wine translate from makes an interesting study. Howbeit even if looked into all the derived words and roots thereof, that still would only give a superficial glimpse of the symbolic purpose. The key is to find where and how wine & oil apply in the Scriptures.

oil wrote:
Quote:
Word: שמן
Pronounc: sheh'-men
Strong: #H8081
Transliter: shemen
from 8080; grease, especially liquid (as from the olive, often perfumed); figuratively, richness:--anointing, X fat (things), X fruitful, oil((-ed)), ointment, olive, + pine.

Code:
Word: שמן
Pronounc: shaw-man'
Strong:  #H8080
Transliter: shaman
 a primitive root; to shine, i.e. (by analogy) be  (causatively, make) oily or gross:--become (make, wax) fat.

Quote:
Word: יצהר
Pronounc: yits-hawr'
Strong: #H3323
Transliter: yitshar
from 6671; oil (as producing light); figuratively, anointing:--+ anointed oil.

Code:
Word: צהר
Pronounc: tsaw-har'
Strong:  #H6671
Transliter: tsahar
 a primitive root; to glisten; used only as denominative from  3323, to press out oil:--make oil.

Quote:
Word: משח
Pronounc: mesh-akh'
Strong: #H4887
Transliter: mshach
(Aramaic) from a root corresponding to 4886; oil:--oil.

Code:
Word: משח
Pronounc: maw-shakh'
Strong:  #H4886
Transliter: mashach
 a primitive root; to rub with oil, i.e. to anoint; by  implication, to consecrate; also to paint:--anoint, paint.

Quote:
Word: סוך
Pronounc: sook
Strong: #H5480
Transliter: cuwk
a primitive root; properly, to smear over (with oil), i.e. anoint:--anoint (self), X at all.

Quote:
Word: זית
Pronounc: zay'-yith
Strong: #H2132
Transliter: zayith
probably from an unused root (akin to 2099); an olive (as yielding illuminating oil), the tree, the branch or the berry:--olive (tree, -yard), Olivet.
Code:

Word: זו
Pronounc: zeev'
Strong:  #H2099
Transliter: Ziv
 probably from an unused root meaning to be prominent;  properly, brightness (compare 2122), i.e. (figuratively) the  month of flowers; Ziv (corresponding to Ijar or May):--Zif.

Word: זיו
Pronounc: zeev
Strong:  #H2122
Transliter: ziyv
 (Aramaic) corresponding to 2099; (figuratively)  cheerfulness:--brightness, countenance.

Quote:
Word: ελαιων
Pronounc: el-ah-yone'
Strong: #G1638
Transliter: elaion
from 1636; an olive-orchard, i.e. (specially) the Mount of Olives:--Olivet.

Word: ελαιον
Pronounc: el'-ah-yon
Strong: #G1637
Transliter: elaion
neuter of the same as 1636; olive oil:--oil.

Code:
Word: ελαια
Pronounc: el-ah'-yah
Strong:  #G1636
Transliter: elaia
 feminine of a presumed derivative from an obsolete primary; an olive  (the tree or the fruit):--olive (berry, tree).

wine wrote:
Quote:

Word: חמר
Pronounc: kham-ar'
Strong: #H2562
Transliter: chamar
(Aramaic) corresponding to 2561; wine:--wine.
Code:

Pronounc: kheh'-mer
Strong:  #H2561
Transliter: chemer
 from 2560; wine (as fermenting):--X pure, red wine.   #H2560

Pronounc: khaw-mar'
Strong:  #H2560
Transliter: chamar
 a primitive root; properly, to boil up; hence, to ferment  (with scum); to glow (with redness); as denominative (from  2564) to smear with pitch:--daub, befoul, be red, trouble.

Pronounc: khay-mawr'
Strong:  #H2564
Transliter: chemar
 from 2560; bitumen (as rising to the surface):--slime(-pit).   

Quote:
Word: יין
Pronounc: yah'-yin
Strong: #H3196
Transliter: yayin
from an unused root meaning to effervesce; wine (as fermented); by implication, intoxication:--banqueting, wine, wine(-bibber).

Quote:
Word: יקב
Pronounc: yeh'-keb
Strong: #H3342
Transliter: yeqeb
from an unused root meaning to excavate; a trough (as dug out); specifically, a wine-vat (whether the lower one, into which the juice drains; or the upper, in which the grapes are crushed):--fats, presses, press-fat, wine(-press).

Quote:
Word: תירוש
Pronounc: tee-roshe'
Strong: #H8492
Transliter: tiyrowsh
or tiyrosh tee-roshe'; from 3423 in the sense of expulsion; must or fresh grape-juice (as just squeezed out); by implication (rarely) fermented wine:--(new, sweet) wine.

Code:
Word: ירש
Pronounc: yaw-rash'
Strong:  #H3423
Transliter: yarash
 or yaresh yaw-raysh'; a primitive root; to occupy (by  driving out previous tenants, and possessing in their place);  by implication, to seize, to rob, to inherit; also to expel,  to impoverish, to ruin:--cast out, consume, destroy,  disinherit, dispossess, drive(-ing) out, enjoy, expel, X   without fail, (give to, leave for) inherit(-ance, -or) +  magistrate, be (make) poor, come to poverty, (give to, make  to) possess, get (have) in (take) possession, seize upon,  succeed, X utterly.

Quote:
Code:
Word: οινος
Pronounc: oy'-nos
Strong:  #G3631
Transliter: oinos
 a primary word (or perhaps of Hebrew origin  #H3196); "wine" (literally  or figuratively):--wine.

JAdmin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 11, 2008 3:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first key passage of oil in the Old Testament that comes up (symbolically) is:
Genesis 28:10-18
10Jacob departed from Berseba and went toward Haran,  11and came unto a place and tarried there all night, because the son was down. And took a stone of the place, and put it under his head, and laid him down in the same place to sleep.  12And he dreamed: and behold there stood a ladder upon the earth, and the top of it reached up to heaven. And see, the angels of God went up and down upon it,  13yea and the LORD stood upon it and said: I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father and the God of Isaac: The land which thou sleepest upon will I give thee and thy seed.  14And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth: And thou shalt spread abroad: west, east, north and south. And thorow thee and thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.  15And see I am with thee, and will be thy keeper in all places whother thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land: Neither will I leave thee until I have made good, all that I have promised thee.  16When Jacob was awaked out of his sleep, he said: surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware.  17And he was afraid and said how fearful is this place? it is none other, but even the house of God and the gate of heaven.  18And Jacob stood up early in the morning and took the stone that he had laid under his head, and pitched it up on end, and poured oil on the top of it.  

That bears to mind Jesus of Nazareth's similitude of the vineyard (of course wherefrom comes wine)
Luke 20:9-18
9Then began he to put forth to the people, this similitude: A certain man planted a vineyard, and let it forth to farmers, and went himself into a strange country for a great season.  10And when the time came, he sent a servant to his tenants that they should give him of the fruits, of the vineyard. The tenants beat him: and sent him away empty.  11And he ceased not thereby but sent yet another servant. And they beat him, and foul entreated him also, and sent him away empty.  12Moreover, he sent the third Also; And him they wounded, and cast him out.  13Then said the lord of the vineyard: what shall I do? I will send my dear son, him peradventure they will reverence, when they see him.  14 When the farmers saw him, they thought in themselves, saying: this is the heir, come let us kill him, that the inheritance may be ours.  15And they cast him out of the vineyard, and killed him. Now what shall the lord of the vineyard do unto them?  16He will come and destroy those farmers, and will let out his vineyard to other. When they heard that, they said: God forbid.  17 He beheld them and said: what meaneth this then that is written: The stone that the builders refused, is made the head cornerstone?  18whosoever stumble at that stone, shall be bruised: but on whosoever it fall, it will also break him.  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Original Tongues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: