DAVAR
Hebrew Dictionary Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

HELP--I'm new here.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Hebrew Dictionary
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rik

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 5:16 pm    Post subject: HELP--I'm new here. Reply with quote

Sorry, but I'm lost here. I've not yet put in the downloads, and don't know what all I need to download. I do need the English language, but it looks like first I need to do some kind of basic (preliminary) download, and then I have a choice between a "general" English download or a "faithofgod" English download, depending on what books I want. Is this correct?

How do I begin from square one?
. Please help! Thanks.

JoPl
DAVAR programmer

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2005 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: HELP--I'm new here. Reply with quote

Hi,

just try DAVAR English version , it's complete package. Then install, run, enjoy. If you will miss some books or dictionaries, then download them and unpack into Davar directory and setup in File options. Don't forget to press F1 and read manual Wink

Josef

Rik

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I'm new here... Reply with quote

Thanks, Josef!

That's what I did (English version--didn't add anything to it yet). My questions are these:

After doing one search for a Hebrew word, what is the best way to remove the last search word before putting in a new word?

I found it works if I highlight the previous search word (in Hebrew) and press the Backspace key. If you press the Delete key, will it delete the word from the dictionary permanently, or is the list relatively safe? I haven't used much more than "Rosetta stone." Is it difficult to merge dictionaries? Would you advise it? Is it possible to add another "Rosetta stone" whereby I could empty the dictionary, and word by word add words from my Hebrew grammar, with the definitions as they give them? Or can I simply create a new word list? I have no idea how.

And, it's fine if I'm looking up a word such as Aleph, qamats, He, patakh, Vet. I'm sure "to love" would come right up, but where can I find something where I can enter Tav, hireq, Shin, shva, Lamed, patakh, Chet, shva, Khaf, seghol, Nun sophit (using, of course, Hebrew letters & vowel points), and it would automatically tell me if this verb is in the Qal form, Imperfect, and if it were fem. of masc., singular or plural, 3rd person... Is there such an application with DaVaR, or is there another Link to which you can refer me?
I appreciate your help. Thank you. May the God of Abraham, Isaac & Jacob bless you.

JoPl
DAVAR programmer

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2005 5:51 am    Post subject: Re: Help! I'm new here... Reply with quote

After doing one search for a Hebrew word, what is the best way to remove the last search word before putting in a new word?
I found it works if I highlight the previous search word (in Hebrew) and press the Backspace key. If you press the Delete key, will it delete the word from the dictionary permanently, or is the list relatively safe?

No problem. Davar is looking after key/mouse event, what is inside edit field and try to synchronize. So, del will empty it => D will jump to first record (aleph)

I haven't used much more than "Rosetta stone." Is it difficult to merge dictionaries? Would you advise it?

I advise to press F1+read help. There is HOWTO about merging dictionaries and answer to your questions!!

Is it possible to add another "Rosetta stone" whereby I could empty the dictionary, and word by word add words from my Hebrew grammar, with the definitions as they give them? Or can I simply create a new word list? I have no idea how.

You can do it manually, not very pleasant job. If you create data in format, as in rosetta, I have prepared convertors for that => we can prepare data for Davar. If you are going to TYPE MANUALLY data (you have just book, not file) I strongly recommend:
1) Read manual
2) Start new file with LONG ENOUGH width of record for word. At least 30 chars, but if you will have longer records, try more...50-100 e.g.
3) When file will be long enough, send me that, I will check and publish - if you allow that Smile

And, it's fine if I'm looking up a word such as Aleph, qamats, He, patakh, Vet. I'm sure "to love" would come right up, but where can I find something where I can enter Tav, hireq, Shin, shva, Lamed, patakh, Chet, shva, Khaf, seghol, Nun sophit (using, of course, Hebrew letters & vowel points), and it would automatically tell me if this verb is in the Qal form, Imperfect, and if it were fem. of masc., singular or plural, 3rd person... Is there such an application with DaVaR, or is there another Link to which you can refer me?

You refer to morphological analysis. That is what BibleWorks can do, but for MANY $$$, you can buy. I hope that for Davar 3, I'll get permission to use Westminster morphology, licence fee is 7$/person. So I will prepare encrypted files and anyone can buy license. But I cannot promise it yet.

Sincerely,

Josef

Rik

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again, Josef, for all your help!

I especially look forward to "morphological analysis." My problem is this: I don't have "MANY $$$." 7$/person sounds reasonable, but I wish it wasn't still in the future. Nevertheless, I am thankful for what is available here. I have heard of something called "E-Sword." I don't know how similar to BibleWorks it is, however, I wonder if it has morphological analysis available on it. Probably not, but I should download it to see.

One more thing: I tried to copy a word from my downloaded DAVAR, and to paste into microsoft Word, but the Hebrew Font did not transfer. Instead I got strange phonetic letters with diacritical marks adorning them--not the Hebrew alphabet. Am I doing something wrong? I don't mean to ask so many questions.

As to creating a database, I will not have the time to work on such a project for some time now. I would like to, though. Regarding the publishing of such a list, I could not allow that IF taking definitions from a published grammar would be considered a violation of the copyright laws. If I wrote to the publisher to see if permission could be obtained, perhaps reference to the book's title, author, publisher, etc. MIGHT be acceptable, if they were assured the information would not be sold in any way, but merely available free of charge. In a sense, it could help them by promoting the book. On the other hand, they could require a fee. I can't even promise at this point that I could even complete such an immense project like that, much less begin one, as I have other responsibilities at this time which I cannot simply put "on hold." And decisions would have to be made: use all vocabulary throughout the book, or only those which appear in each chapter's Vocabulary List? Do I enter several forms of the same word, or only the root word & meaning? If I put in SuS for "horse", I wouln't have a problem putting in SuSaH for "mare", but it would be far to enormous to include "the mare" and "their horses." As I am only learning, I could only provide forms available in the textbook, hoping that no typographical errors or otherwise exist in the text. Were I to apply the given rules to other verbs in the same "family" of verbs, I could not guarentee that I could do all of them without errors, and I would not want to provide such a list which could possibly lead someone astray with even some errors. While I have mainly been working with Seow's book, I've also supplemented my studies with Mansoor's first book of Biblical Hebrew, and Weingreen (striving to strain the gems within his book from the archaic English). If I thought creating a list from one book would be a monumental task, I'm afraid, working from three or more books would be beyond the scope of anything I could do at this time. In the one book alone, in the beginning a Heb. word given there has four listed meanings (it's a preposition). Later in the book, the same word appears again with perhaps eight possible definitions. To create the database, would I go with the easier list or the more comprehensive? I thought, in doing something for my personal use over a period of time, even though the work would be tedious, nevertheless I would review the vocab. much fuller, and it could only help me as a student. These are some of my concerns regarding your comment "3) When file will be long enough, send me that, I will check and publish - if you allow that." Had I written such a textbook, then with permission from the publisher, I could see about whether such is permissible. As it is not my content nor my original list, I would not want to give permission to something which I have no right to grant such permission. I hope this makes sense.

I do appreciate all your help, Josef.

Sincerely,

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Hebrew Dictionary All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: