DAVAR
Hebrew Dictionary Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The tower of babel & Jacob's ladder

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> WORD study
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAdmin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 2:22 am    Post subject: The tower of babel & Jacob's ladder Reply with quote

Today i learned a great secret from an old black lady at a community college where she wanted to know about classes to learn other languages. While at the waiting room she brought up the tower of Babel as if it were Jacob's ladder as the reason why the languages of men got confused. I pondered at such notion.. til it came to me:

The tower of Babel is mentioned at:
Genesis 11:1-9
1And all the world was of one tongue and one language.  2And as they came from the east, they found a plain in the land of Sinear, and there they dwelled.  3And they said one to another: come on, let us make brick and burn it with fire. So brick was their stone and slime was their mortar.  4And they said: Come on, let us build us a city and a tower, that the top may reach unto heaven. And let us make us a name, for peradventure we shall be scattered abroad over all the earth.  5And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower which the children of Adam had builded.  6And the LORD said: See, the people is one and have one tongue among them all: And this have they begun to do, and will not leave off from all that they have purposed to do.  7Come on, let us descend and mingle their tongue even there, that one understand not what another sayeth.  8Thus the LORD scattered them from thence upon all the earth. And they left off to build the city.  9Wherefore the name of it is called Babel, because that the LORD there confounded the tongue of all the world. And because that the LORD from thence, scattered them abroad upon all the earth.  

Jacob's ladder at:
Genesis 28:10-19
10Jacob departed from Berseba and went toward Haran,  11and came unto a place and tarried there all night, because the son was down. And took a stone of the place, and put it under his head, and laid him down in the same place to sleep.  12And he dreamed: and behold there stood a ladder upon the earth, and the top of it reached up to heaven. And see, the angels of God went up and down upon it,  13yea and the LORD stood upon it and said: I am the LORD God of Abraham thy father and the God of Isaac: The land which thou sleepest upon will I give thee and thy seed.  14And thy seed shall be as the dust of the earth: And thou shalt spread abroad: west, east, north and south. And thorow thee and thy seed shall all the kindreds of the earth be blessed.  15And see I am with thee, and will be thy keeper in all places whother thou goest, and will bring thee again into this land: Neither will I leave thee until I have made good, all that I have promised thee.  16When Jacob was awaked out of his sleep, he said: surely the LORD is in this place, and I was not aware.  17And he was afraid and said how fearful is this place? it is none other, but even the house of God and the gate of heaven.  18And Jacob stood up early in the morning and took the stone that he had laid under his head, and pitched it up on end, and poured oil on the top of it.  19And he called the name of the place Bethel, for indeed the name of the city was called Lus before time.  

Thus i concluded: What men failed to accomplish by his own effort, God the Everlasting Lord already had it accomplished in his sovereign plan.

John 1:45-51
45 Philip found Nathanael, and said unto him: We have found him of whom Moses wrote in the law, and the prophets: Jesus the son of Joseph of Nazareth.  46And Nathanael said unto him: Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip said to him: Come and see.  47Jesus saw Nathanael coming to him, and said of him: Behold a right Israelite, in whom is no guile.  48Nathanael said unto him: From whence knewest thou me? Jesus answered and said unto him: Before that Philip called thee, when thou wast under the fig tree, I saw thee.  49Nathanael answered and said unto him: Rabbi, thou art the son of God; Thou art the King of Israel.  50Jesus answered and said unto him: Because I said unto thee, I saw thee under the fig tree, thou believest. Thou shalt see greater things than these.  51And he said unto him: Verily, verily, I say unto you: hereafter shall ye see heaven open, and the angels of God ascending, and descending over the son of man.  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> WORD study All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: