Translation of phrase
Select messages from
# through # FAQ
[/[Print]\]

DAVAR -> Original Tongues

#1: Translation of phrase Author: DianeLocation: USA PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 9:17 pm
    —
Hello, I'm new to the forum and a new user of Davar which I appreciate very much. I am looking for the correct order of wording in Hebrew for the phrase "choose life" which appears in Deuteronomy 30:19. Using Davar3 I found the phrase as "bachar chay" in Hebrew (English transliteration). Is this the correct wording of the phrase as spoken in Hebrew?

#2: choose life Author: JAdmin PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2008 2:44 am
    —
Welcome to the board Diane. That is a very interesting Hebrew observation.

וּבָחַרְתָּ בַּחַיִּים

According to the original Strong's dictionary "choose life" is correct:

BACHAR wrote:
Word: בחר
Pronounc: baw-khar'
Strong: #H977
Transliter: bachar
a primitive root; properly, to try, i.e. (by implication) select:--acceptable, appoint, choose (choice), excellent, join, be rather, require.

CHAY wrote:
Word: חי
Pronounc: khah'-ee
Strong: #H2416
Transliter: chay
from 2421; alive; hence, raw (flesh); fresh (plant, water, year), strong; also (as noun, especially in the feminine singular and masculine plural) life (or living thing), whether literally or figuratively:--+ age, alive, appetite, (wild) beast, company, congregation, life(-time), live(-ly), living (creature, thing), maintenance, + merry, multitude, + (be) old, quick, raw, running, springing, troop.

Code:
Word: חיה
Pronounc: khaw-yaw'
Strong:  #H2421
Transliter: chayah
 a primitive root (compare 2331, 2421); to live, whether  literally or figuratively; causatively, to revive:--keep  (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let,  suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken,  recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save  (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.

Word: חוה
Pronounc: khaw-vah'
Strong:  #H2331
Transliter: chavah
 a primitive root; (compare 2324, 2421); properly, to live; by  implication (intensively) to declare or show:--show. 

Word: חיה
Pronounc: khaw-yaw'
Strong:  #H2421
Transliter: chayah
 a primitive root (compare 2331, 2421); to live, whether  literally or figuratively; causatively, to revive:--keep  (leave, make) alive, X certainly, give (promise) life, (let,  suffer to) live, nourish up, preserve (alive), quicken,  recover, repair, restore (to life), revive, (X God) save  (alive, life, lives), X surely, be whole.

Word: חוא
Pronounc:  khav-aw'
Strong:  #H2324
Transliter: chava'
 (Aramaic) corresponding to 2331; to show:--shew.

DAVAR -> Original Tongues

output generated using printer-friendly topic mod. All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1