DAVAR
Hebrew Dictionary Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Innocent & Ignorant

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Original Tongues
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:21 pm    Post subject: Innocent & Ignorant Reply with quote

Interesting to note how the significance of Innocence & Ignorance pan out from following it's word roots. Ironically both point to α the first letter of the Greek Alphabet.

Innocence wrote:

Latin wrote:

Word: innocens, (gen.), innocentis
ADJ
harmless, innocent; virtuous, upright;

Word: innocentia, innocentiae
N F
harmlessness; innocence, integrity;

Hebrew wrote:

Word: נקי
Pronounc: naw-kee'
Strong: #H5355
Transliter: naqiy
or naqiyi (Joel 4:19; Jonah 1:14), naw-kee'; from 5352; innocent:--blameless, clean, clear, exempted, free, guiltless, innocent, quit.

Word: נקה
Pronounc: naw-kaw'
Strong: #H5352
Transliter: naqah
a primitive root; to be (or make) clean (literally or figuratively); by implication (in an adverse sense) to be bare, i.e. extirpated:--acquit X at all, X altogether, be blameless, cleanse, (be) clear(-ing), cut off, be desolate, be free, be (hold) guiltless, be (hold) innocent, X by no means, be quit, be (leave) unpunished, X utterly, X wholly.

another Hebrew alternative wrote:

Word: תם
Pronounc: tome
Strong: #H8537
Transliter: tom
from 8552; completeness; figuratively, prosperity; usually (morally) innocence:--full, integrity, perfect(-ion), simplicity, upright(-ly, -ness), at a venture. See 8550.

Word: תמים
Pronounc: toom-meem'
Strong: #H8550
Transliter: Tummiym
plural of 8537; perfections, i.e. (techn.) one of the epithets of the objects in the high-priest's breastplate as an emblem of complete Truth:--Thummim.

Word: תמם
Pronounc: taw-mam'
Strong: #H8552
Transliter: tamam
a primitive root; to complete, in a good or a bad sense, literal, or figurative, transitive or intransitive (as follows):--accomplish, cease, be clean (pass-)ed, consume, have done, (come to an, have an, make an) end, fail, come to the full, be all gone, X be all here, be (make) perfect, be spent, sum, be (shew self) upright, be wasted, whole.

Greek wrote:

Word: αθωος
Pronounc: ath'-o-os
Strong: #G121
Transliter: athoos
from 1 (as a negative particle) and probably a derivative of 5087 (meaning a penalty); not guilty:--innocent.

Word: τιθημι
Pronounc: tith'-ay-mee
Strong: #G5087
Transliter: tithemi
a prolonged form of a primary theo theh'-o (which is used only as alternate in certain tenses) to place (in the widest application, literally and figuratively; properly, in a passive or horizontal posture, and thus different from 2476, which properly denotes an upright and active position, while 2749 is properly reflexive and utterly prostrate):--+ advise, appoint, bow, commit, conceive, give, X kneel down, lay (aside, down, up), make, ordain, purpose, put, set (forth), settle, sink down.

Word: α
Pronounc: al'-fah
Strong: #G1
Transliter: a
of Hebrew origin; the first letter of the alphabet; figuratively, only (from its use as a numeral) the first: --Alpha. Often used (usually an, before a vowel) also in composition (as a contraction from 427) in the sense of privation; so, in many words, beginning with this letter; occasionally in the sense of union (as a contraction of 260).

Ignorance wrote:

Latin wrote:

Word: ignorans, (gen.), ignorantis
ADJ [DXXES]
ignorant (of), unaware, not knowing; ignorant of Christian truth (Souter);

Hebrew wrote:
Word: שגגה
Pronounc: sheg-aw-gaw'
Strong: #H7684
Transliter: shgagah
from 7683; a mistake or inadvertent transgression:--error, ignorance, at unawares; unwittingly.

Word: שגג
Pronounc: shaw-gag'
Strong: #H7683
Transliter: shagag
a primitive root; to stray, i.e. (figuratively) sin (with more or less apology):--X also for that, deceived, err, go astray, sin ignorantly.

Greek wrote:

Word: αγνοια
Pronounc: ag'-noy-ah
Strong: #G52
Transliter: agnoia
from 50; ignorance (properly, the quality):--ignorance.

Word: αγνοεω
Pronounc: ag-no-eh'-o
Strong: #G50
Transliter: agnoeo
from 1 (as a negative particle) and 3539; not to know (through lack of information or intelligence); by implication, to ignore (through disinclination):--(be) ignorant(-ly), not know, not understand, unknown.

Word: νοιεω
Pronounc: noy-eh'-o
Strong: #G3539
Transliter: noieo
from 3563; to exercise the mind (observe), i.e. (figuratively) to comprehend, heed:--consider, perceive, think, understand.

Word: α
Pronounc: al'-fah
Strong: #G1
Transliter: a
of Hebrew origin; the first letter of the alphabet; figuratively, only (from its use as a numeral) the first: --Alpha. Often used (usually an, before a vowel) also in composition (as a contraction from 427) in the sense of privation; so, in many words, beginning with this letter; occasionally in the sense of union (as a contraction of 260).

Last edited by JAdmin on Sat Oct 13, 2007 8:59 am; edited 3 times in total
JAdmin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Habakkuk 3:1-19
1A prayer of the prophet Abacuc for the ignoraunce.   2O LORD, when I heard speak of thee, I was afraid. The work thou hast taken in hand, shalt thou perform in his time, O LORD: and when thy time cometh, thou shalt declare it. In thy very wrath thou thinkest upon mercy.  3God cometh from Theman, and the holy one from the mount of Pharan. Sela.  4His glory covereth the heavens, and the earth is full of his praise. His shine is as the sun, and beams of light go out of his hands, there is his power hid.  5Destruction goeth before him, and burning cressettes go from his feet.  6He standeth, and measureth the earth. He looketh, and the people consume away, the mountains of the world fall down to powder, and the hills are fain to bow themselves, for his goings are everlasting and sure.  7I saw, that the pavilions of the Morians and the tents of the land of Madian were vexed for weariness.  8Wast thou not angry, O LORD, in the waters? was not thy wrath in the floods, and thy displeasure in the sea? Yes, when thou satest upon thine horse, and when thy chariots had the victory.  9Thou shewdest thy bow openly, like as thou hadst promised with an oath unto the tribes. Selah. Thou didst divide the waters of the earth.  10When the mountains saw thee, they were afraid, the water stream went away: the deep made a noise at the lifting up of thine hand.  11The Sun and Moon remained still in their habitation. Thine arrows went out glistering, and thy spears as the shine of the lightning.  12Thou trodest down the land in thine anger, and didst throshe the Heathen in thy displeasure.  13Thou camest forth to help thy people, to help thine anointed. Thou smotest down the head in the house of the ungodly, and discoveredest his foundations, even unto the neck of him. Selah.  14Thou cursest his scepters, the captain of his men of war: which come as a stormy wind to scatter me abroad, and are glad when they may eat up the poor secretly.  15Thou makest a way for thine horses in the sea, even in the mud of great waters.  16When I hear this, my body is vexed, my lips tremble at the voice thereof, my bones corrupt, I am afraid where I stand. O that I might rest in the day of trouble, that I might go up unto our people, which are already prepared.  17For the fig trees shall not be green, and the vines shall bear no fruit. The labour of the olive shall be but lost, and the land shall bring no corn: the sheep shall be taken out of the fold, and there shall be no cattle in the stalls.  18But as for me, I will be glad in the LORD, and will rejoice in God my Saviour.  19The LORD God is my strength, he shall make my feet as the feet of harts: and he which giveth the victory, shall bring me to my high places, singing upon my psalms. The end of the prophecy of Abacuc.  

Revelation 1:5-6
5and from Jesus Christ which is a faithful witness, and first begotten of the dead: and Lord over the kings of the earth. Unto him that loved us and washed us from our sins in his own blood,  6and made us kings and priests unto God his father, be glory, and dominion for evermore amen.  

Revelation 1:17-18
17And when I saw him, I fell at his feet, even as dead. And he laid his right hand upon me, saying unto me: fear not. I am the first and the last,  18and am alive, and was dead. And behold I am alive for evermore, and have the keys of hell and of death.  

Revelation 21:6-8
6And he said unto me: it is done I am Alpha and Omega, the beginning, and the end. I will give to him that is a thirst of the well of the water of life free.  7He that overcometh shall inherit all things, and I will be his God, and he shall be my son.  8But the fearful and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone, which is the second death.  

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> Original Tongues All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: