DAVAR
Hebrew Dictionary Forum

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Sprong Branch

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> WORD study
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JAdmin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 11, 2007 6:15 pm    Post subject: The Sprong Branch Reply with quote

The Scriptures express a conviction that the Almighty would operate once again in the life of the nation of Israel to lift up a just King that would conduct them to a recuperation of their vitality as the people of God.

Judges 13:1-5
1And the children of Israel began again to commit wickedness in the sight of the LORD. And the LORD delivered them into the hands of the Philistines forty year.  2And there was a man in Zaraah of the kindred of the Dannites, named Manoah, whose wife was barren and bare not.  3And the Angel of the LORD appeared unto his wife and said unto her: Behold, thou art barren and bearest not: But thou shalt conceive and bear a son.  4And now beware, and drink no wine, nor strong drink, neither eat any unclean thing:  5for see, thou shalt conceive and bear a son. And there may no razor or shearers come on his head: for the lad shall be an abstainer unto God, even from the time of his birth. And he shall begin to deliver Israel out of the hands of the Philistines.  

Interesting to note that it was MaLaKh-IHVH (The messenger of the Everlasting himself) who spoke in Judges.
The Prophets used various metaphors and figurative names to refer to a renewal anticipated from the ideal monarchy to replace the corrupt kings of the day; this great King is referred to
in Isaiah as "the Just",
Isaiah 41:2
Who raiseth up the just from the rising of the Sun, and calleth him to go forth? Who casteth down the people, and subdueth the kings before him: that he may throw them all to the ground with his sword, and scatter them like stubble with his bow.

in Haggai "the seal",
Haggai 2:23
And as for thee, O Zorobabel (sayeth the LORD of Hosts) thou son of Salathiel my servant: I will take thee (sayeth the LORD) at the same time, and make thee as a seal, for I have chosen thee, sayeth the LORD of Hosts. The end of the prophecy of Aggeus.

in Micah & Ezekiel "the Shepherd",
Micah 2:12
But I will gather thee indeed, O Jacob, and drive the remnant of Israel all together. I shall carry them one with another, as a flock in the fold, and as the cattle in their stalls, that they may be disquieted of other men.

Ezekiel 34:12
Like as a shepherd among the flock seeketh after the sheep that are scattered abroad, even so will I seek after my sheep, and gather them together out of all places, where they have been scattered in the cloudy and dark day.

or simply "David" as in Amos.
Amos 9:11-12
11At that time will I build again the tabernacle of David, that is fallen down, and hedge up his gaps: and look what is broken, I shall repair it: Yea I shall build it again, as it was a fore time,  12that they may possess the remnant of Edom, yea and all such people as call upon my name with them, sayeth the LORD, which doth these things.  

Isaiah, Jeremiah, and Zechariah used the term "BRANCH" (even a blossom) a metaphor referring to a renewal of the new King that the Almighty would lift up from the lineage of David
Isaiah 4:2
After that time shall the branch of the LORD be beautiful and mighty, and the fruit of the earth shall be fair and pleasant for those Israelites that shall spring thereof.

Isaiah 11:1
After this there shall come a rod forth of the Kindred of Jesse, and a blossom out of his root.

Jeremiah 23:5
Behold, the time cometh, sayeth the LORD, that I will raise up the righteous Branch of David, which shall bear rule, and discuss matters with wisdom, and shall set up equity and righteousness again in the earth.

Zechariah 3:8-9
8Hear O Jesua thou high priest, thou and thy friends that dwell before thee, for they are wonderous people. Behold, I will bring forth the branch of my servant:  9for lo, the stone that I have laid before Jesua: upon one stone shall be seven eyes. Behold, I will hew him out (sayeth the LORD of Hosts) and take away the sin of that land in one day.  

Zechariah 6:12-13
12And speak unto him: Thus sayeth the LORD of Hosts: Behold the man whose name is the branch: and he that shall spring up after him, shall build up the temple of the LORD:  13Yea even he shall build up the temple of the LORD. He shall bear the praise, he shall sit upon the Lord's throne, and have the domination. A priest shall he be also upon his throne, and a peaceable counsel shall be betwixt them both.  

The metaphor is clearly expressed in Isaiah 11:1.
Isaiah 11:1
After this there shall come a rod forth of the Kindred of Jesse, and a blossom out of his root.

The word blossom or branch in Hebrew is:
Quote:
Word: נצר
Pronounc: nay'-tser
Strong: #H5342
Transliter: netser
from 5341 in the sense of greenness as a striking color; a shoot; figuratively, a descendant:--branch.

Code:
Word: נצר
Pronounc: naw-tsar'
Strong:  #H5341
Transliter: natsar
 a primitive root; to guard, in a good sense (to protect,  maintain, obey, etc.) or a bad one (to conceal, etc.):--  besieged, hidden thing, keep(-er, -ing), monument, observe,  preserve(-r), subtil, watcher(-man).

That somehow brings to remembrance the Nazarene.
Code:
Am 2:11 I raised up prophets among your children, and Nazarenes {abstainers} among your young men. Is it not so, O ye children of Israel? sayeth the LORD.

Quote:
Word: נזיר
Pronounc: naw-zeer'
Strong: #H5139
Transliter: naziyr
or nazir naw-zeer'; from 5144; separate, i.e. consecrated (as prince, a Nazirite); hence (figuratively from the latter) an unpruned vine (like an unshorn Nazirite):--Nazarite (by a false alliteration with Nazareth), separate(-d), vine undressed.

Code:
Word: נזר
Pronounc: naw-zar'
Strong:  #H5144
Transliter: nazar
 a primitive root; to hold aloof, i.e. (intransitivey) abstain  (from food and drink, from impurity, and even from divine  worship (i.e. apostatize)); specifically, to set apart (to  sacred purposes), i.e. devote:--consecrate, separate(-ing,  self).

Ironically there a question lingers: What happened to the attitude of the people towards the Branch?

Lamentations 4 may give us a great clue:

Lamentations 4:1-22
1Aleph. O how is the gold become so dim? How is the goodly colour of it so sore changed? and the stones of the sanctuary thus scattered in the corner of every street?  2Beth. The children of Sion that were alway in honour, and clothed with the most precious gold: how are they now become like the earthen vessels which be made with the potters hand.  3Gimel. The Lamies give their young ones suck with bare breasts: but the daughter of my people is cruel, and dwelleth in the wilderness: like the Ostriches.  4Daleth. The tongues of the sucking children, cleave to the roof of their mouths for very thirst. The young children ask bread, but there is no man, that giveth it them.  5He. They that were wont to fair delicately, perish in the streets: they that afore were brought up in purple, make now much of dung.  6Vau. The sin of the daughter of my people is become greater than the wickedness of Sodom, that suddenly was destroyed, and not taken with hands.  7Zain. Her abstainers (or Nazarees) were whiter than the snow or milk: their colour was fresh red as the Corall, their beauty like the Sapphire.  8CHeth. But now their faces are very black: In so much, that thou shouldest not know them in the streets. Their skin cleaveth to their bones; It is withered, and become like a dry stock.  9Teth. They that be slain with the sword, are happier than such as die of hunger, and perish away famishing for the fruits of the field.  10Iod. The women (which of nature are pitiful) have sodden their own children with their hands that they might be their meat, in the miserable destruction of the daughter of my people.  11Caph. The LORD hath performed his heavy wrath: he hath poured out the furiousness of his displeasure. He hath kindled a fire in Sion, which hath consumed the foundations thereof.  12Lamed. Neither the kings of the earth, nor all the inhabiters of the world, would have believed that the enemy and adversary should have come in at the gates of the city of Hierusalem.  13Mem. Which nevertheless is come to pass for the sins of her prophets, and for the wickedness of her priests that have shed innocents blood within her.  14Nun. So that these blind men went stumbling in the streets, and stained themselves with blood, which else would touch no bloody cloth.  15Samech. But they cried unto every man: flee the staining, away, get you hence, touch it not. Yea (say they) ye must be brent, ye must dwell among the Gentiles, and bide no longer here.  16Ain. The countenance of the LORD hath banished them, and shall never look more upon them: For they themselves neither regarded the priests, nor pitied the elders.  17Phe. Wherefore yet our eyes fail us, while we look for vain help: seeing we be ever waiting upon a people, that can do us no good.  18Zade. They lay so sharp wait for us, that we can not go safe upon the streets: for our end is come, our days are fulfilled, our end is here.  19Koph. Our persecutors are swifter than the Aegles of the air, they followed upon us over the mountains, and laid wait for us in the wilderness.  20Res. The very breath of our mouth: even the anointed LORD himself shall be taken in our sins, of whom we say: Under his shadow we shall be preserved among the Heathen.  21Sin. And thou (O daughter Edom) that dwellest in the land of Huz, be glad and rejoice: for the cup shall come unto thee also, which when thou suppest of thou shalt be drunk.  22Thau. Thy sin is well punished (O thou daughter Sion) he shall not suffer thee to be carried away any more. But thy wickedness (O daughter Edom) shall he visit, and for thy sins' sake, he shall lead thee into captivity.  
Code:
7 Zain. Her abstainers (or Nazarees) were whiter than the snow or milk: their colour was fresh red as the Corall, their beauty like the Sapphire.  8 CHeth. But now their faces are very black: In so much, that thou shouldest not know them in the streets. Their skin cleaveth to their bones; It is withered, and become like a dry stock.

No wonder people had an attitude in John 1:46
John 1:46
And Nathanael said unto him: Can there any good thing come out of Nazareth? Philip said to him: Come and see.

Of course according to the Torah, the EVERLASTING will have the last say:
Code:
Ex 33:19 And he said: I will make all my good go before thee, and I will be called in this name Jehovah{Iehouah} before thee, and will shew mercy to whom I shew mercy, and will have compassion on whom I have compassion.

Brings to remembrance:
1 Samuel 1:9-11
9Then Hannah rose up after that they had eaten and drunk in Siloh. And Eli the priest sat upon a stool by one of the side posts of the temple of the LORD.  10And she was troubled in her spirits, and prayed unto the LORD and wept sore,  11and vowed a vow and said: LORD of Hosts, if thou wilt look on the wretchedness of thine handmaid and shalt remember me and not forget thine handmaid, and shalt give unto thine handmaid a man child I will give him unto the LORD, all the days of his life and there shall neither razor or shears come upon his head.  

Samson may of typified the Messiah but still came up short, because a razor or shears did eventually come upon Samson's head. Thus Samson likely was a glimpse of what was to come; even according to his royal lineage: a Nazarene, the most simple to come, and despised of all, which yet had good experience of sorrows and infirmities to be reckoned so simple and so vile, that people would hide their faces from him.
Isaiah 53:1-12
1But who giveth credence unto our preaching? Or to whom is the arm of the LORD known?   2He shall grow before the Lord like as a branch, and as a root in a dry ground, he shall have neither beauty nor favour. When we look upon him, there shall be no fairness: we shall have no lust unto him.  3He shall be the most simple, and despised of all, which yet hath good experience of sorrows and infirmities. We shall reckon him so simple and so vile, that we shall hide our faces from him.   4How be it (of a truth) he only taketh away our infirmity, and beareth our pain: Yet we shall judge him, as though he were plagued and cast down of God:   5where as he (notwithstanding) shall be wounded for our offenses, and smitten for our wickedness. For the pain of our punishment shall be laid upon him, and with his stripes shall we be healed.   6As for us, we go all astray (like sheep) everyone turneth his own way. But thorow him, the LORD pardoneth all our sins.   7He shall be pained and troubled, and shall not open his mouth. He shall be led as a sheep to be slain, yet shall he be as still as a lamb before the shearer, and not open his mouth.   8He shall be had away, his cause not heard, and with out any judgement: Whose generation yet no man may number, when he shall be cut off from the ground of the living: Which punishment shall go upon him, for the transgression of my people.  9His grave shall be given him with the condemned, and his crucifying with the thieves. Where as he did never violence nor unright, neither hath there been any deceitfulness in his mouth.   10Yet hath it pleased the LORD to smite him with infirmity, that when he had made his soul an offering for sin, he might see long lasting seed. And this device of the LORD shall prosper in his hand.  11With travail and labour of his soul, shall he obtain great riches. My righteous servant shall with his wisdom justify and deliver the multitude, for he shall bear away their sins.   12Therefore will I give him the multitude for his part, and he shall divide the strong spoil because he shall give over his soul to death, and shall be reckoned among the transgressors, which nevertheless shall take away the sins of the multitude, and make intercession for the misdoers.   

Psalms 22
1To the Chanter upon Aieleth of the dawning, a Psalm of David. My God, my God: why hast thou forsaken me? the words of my complaint are far from my health.  2O my God, I cry in the daytime, but thou hearest not: and in the night season also I take no rest.  3Yet dwellest thou in the sanctuary, O thou worship of Israel.  4Our fathers hoped in thee, they trusted in thee, and thou didst deliver them.  5They called upon thee, and were helped: they put their trust in thee, and were not confounded.  6But as for me, I am a worm and no man: a very scorn of men and the outcast of the people.  7All they that see me, laugh me to scorn: they shoot out their lips, and shake their heads.  8He trusted in God, let him deliver him: let him help him, if he will have him.  9But thou art he that took me out of my mother's womb: thou wast my hope, when I hanged yet upon my mother's breasts.  10I have been left unto thee ever since I was born, thou art my God, even from my mother's womb.  11O go not far from me then, for trouble is hard at hand, and here is none to help me.  12Great bulls are come about me, fat oxen close me in on every side.  13They gape upon me with their mouths, as it were a rampaging and roaring lion.  14I am poured out like water, all my bones are out of joint: my heart in the middest of my body is even like melting wax.  15My strength is dried up like a potsherd, and my tongue cleaveth to my gums, and thou hast brought me into the dust of death.  16For dogs are come about me, the counsel of the wicked hath laid siege against me.  17They pierced my hands and my feet, I might have told all my bones: as for them, they stood staring and looking upon me.  18They have parted my garments among them, and cast lots upon my vesture.  19But be not thou far from me, O LORD: thou art my succour, haste thee to help me.  20Deliver my soul from the sword, my dearling from the power of the dog.  21Save me from the lion's mouth, and hear me from among the horns of the unicorns.  22So will I declare thy name unto my brethren, in the middest of the congregation will I praise thee.  23O praise the LORD ye that fear him: Magnify him all ye seed of Jacob, and let all the seed of Israel fear him.  24For he hath not despised nor abhorred the miserable estate of the poor: he hath not hid his face from me, but when I called unto him, he heard me.  25I will praise thee in the great congregation, and perform my vows in the sight of all them that fear thee.  26The poor shall eat and be satisfied: they that seek after the LORD shall praise him: our heart shall live for ever.  27All the ends of the world shall remember themselves, and be turned unto the LORD: and all the generations of the Heathen shall worship before him.  28For the kingdom is the LORD's, and he shall be the governour of the Heathen.  29All such as be fat upon earth, shall eat also and worship. All they that lie in the dust, and live so hardly, shall fall down before him.  30The seed shall serve him, and preach of the Lord forever.  31They shall come, and declare his righteousness: unto a people that shall be born, whom the Lord hath made.    

Also the Gospel according to Matthew had a very Hebrew perspective noting where the Messiah was settled:
Code:
Mat 2:23 "and went and dwelt in a city called Nazareth, to fulfil, that which was spoken by the prophets: He shall be called of Nazareth. {a Nazarene.}"

Yea the Almighty in HIS sovereign providence WILL shew HIS power as HE WILL and divulgeth his plan to restore his people the way he gloriously hath done before, pointing to the messiah that i believe is Jesu Christ that thus came, and will return on high as promised.
Acts 1:10-11
10And as they fastened their eyes in heaven, as he went, lo two men stood by them in white clothing,  11which also said: ye men of Galilee, why stand ye gazing up into heaven? This same Jesus which is taken up from you into heaven, shall so come, even as ye have seen him go into heaven.  

Revelation 1:7
Behold he cometh with clouds, and all eyes shall see him: and they also which pierced him. And all kindreds of the earth shall wail. ([over him]) Even so amen.

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   printer-friendly view    DAVAR -> Forum Index -> WORD study All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: