[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1006: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/verse_mod.php:116)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 1006: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /includes/verse_mod.php:116)
Faith Of God • View topic - "end of the world" to what end?

"end of the world" to what end?

"whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things pertain to love, whatsoever things are of honest report, if there be any virtuous thing, if there be any laudable thing, (of learning) those same have ye in your mind, Php. 4:8

"end of the world" to what end?

Postby jadmin » Sat May 28, 2011 6:11 pm

2 Thessalonians 2:1-4
1We beseech you brethren by the coming of our Lord Jesu Christ, and in that we shall assemble unto him,  2that ye be not suddenly moved from your mind, and be not troubled, neither by spirit, neither by words, nor yet by letter, which should seem to come from us, as though the day of Christ were at hand.  3Let no man deceive you by any means, for the Lord cometh not, except there come a departing first, and that that sinful man be opened, the son of perdition  4which is an adversary, and is exalted above all that is called god, or that is worshipped: so that he shall sit in the temple of god, and shew himself as god.  
- Tyndale and friends Bible

There's much interest to know about the end of the temporal world... yet to what end?
James 1:5-7
5If any that is among you lack wisdom, let him ask of God (which giveth to all men without doubleness, and casteth no man in the teeth:) and it shall be given him:  6but let him ask in faith, and waver not. For he that doubteth is like the waves of the sea, tossed of the wind, and carried with violence.  7Neither let that man think that he shall receive any thing of God.  

1 Corinthians 7:31
And they that use this world, be as though they used it not: For the fashion of this world goeth away.

James 1:11
The son riseth with heat, and the grass is withered, and his flower fallen away, and the beauty of the fashion of it is perished: even so shall the rich man perish in his abundance.

James 2:5
Hearken my dear beloved brethren, hath not God chosen the poor of this world, which are rich in faith, and heirs of the kingdom, which he promised to them that love him?

Of course after asking God about it, here's what was revealed:

When the New Testament is translated, Greek words sometimes have greater meaning than the English, for example:
We read in the seed parable "the field is the world" (Ancient Greek: cosmos)
Matthew 13:38
the field is the world. The children of the kingdom are the good seed. The evil man's children are the tares.

"The harvest is the end of the world" (Ancient Greek: aeon)
Matthew 13:39
But the enemy which soweth it, is the devil. The harvest is the end of the world, and the reapers be the angels.
And again "the end of the world" (Ancient Greek: aeon)
Matthew 13:49
So shall it be at the end of the world. The angels shall come and sever the bad from the good,

There's a distinction between cosmos and aeon.

Also world is translated from the Greek cosmos in
Mark 16:15
And he said unto them: Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to all creatures:
and
John 3:16
God so loved the world, that he gave his only son for the intent, that none that believe in him, should perish: But should have everlasting life.

Code: Select all
Word:κοσμος
Pronounc:kos'-mos
Strong: G2889
Orig:probably from the base of 2865; orderly arrangement, i.e. decoration;  by implication, the world (in a wide or narrow sense, including its  inhabitants, literally or figuratively (morally)):--adorning, world.   G2865
Use: TDNT-3:868,459 Noun Masculine
HE Strong: H134 H3627 H4639 H5716 H5716 H6635 H8499 H8597

1) an apt and harmonious arrangement or constitution, order, government
2) ornament, decoration, adornment, i.e. the arrangement of the stars, 'the heavenly hosts' , as the ornament of the heavens. 1Pe 3:3
3) the world, the universe
4) the circle of the earth, the earth
5) the inhabitants of the earth, men, the human family
6) the ungodly multitude; the whole mass of men alienated from God, and therefore hostile to the cause of Christ
7) world affairs, the aggregate of things earthly
7a) the whole circle of earthly goods, endowments riches, advantages, pleasures, etc, which although hollow and frail and fleeting, stir desire, seduce from God and are obstacles to the cause of Christ
8) any aggregate or general collection of particulars of any sort
8a) the Gentiles as contrasted to the Jews (Ro 11:12 etc)
8b) of believers only, John 1:29; 3:16; 3:17; 6:33; 12:47 1Co 4:9; 2Co 5:19

Ironically the same Greek word cosmos appears in
Romans 16:25-26
25To him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, where with I preach Jesus Christ, in opening of the mystery which was kept close since the world began,  26and now is opened at this time and declared in the scriptures of prophecy, at the commandment of the everlasting God, to stir up obedience to the faith published among all nations:  
Colossians 1:5-6
5for the hope's sake which is laid up in store for you in heaven, of which hope ye have heard by the true word of the gospel,  6which is come unto you, even as it is into all the world, and is fruitful (and groweth) as it is among you, from the first day in the which ye heard of it, and had experience in the grace of God in the truth,  

When you again read "the end of the world" world was rather translated from aeon in:
Matthew 24:3
And as he sat upon the mount Olivet, his disciples came unto him secretly saying: Tell us, when this shall be? and what sign shall be of thy coming, and of the end of the world?
end of the world to be more precise here was translated from the ancient Greek soontelia aeon:
Word: ?????????
Pronounc: soon-tel'-i-ah
Strong: #G4930
Orig: from 4931; entire completion, i.e. consummation (of a dispensation):--end. #G4931
Use: TDNT-8:64,1161 Noun Feminine
Word: ????
Pronounc: ahee-ohn'
Strong:  #G165
Orig: from the same as 104; properly, an age; by extension, perpetuity (also  past); by implication, the world; specially (Jewish) a Messianic  period (present or future):--age, course, eternal, (for) ever(-more),  (n-)ever, (beginning of the , while the) world (began, without end).  Compare 5550.   #G104  #G5550
Use:  TDNT-1:197,31 Noun Masculine

So in Matthew 24:3 the disciples are asking about the consumation of the age which was fulfilled when that Jewish Temple period came to an end. (see consummation of age's dispensation)

Another related example is when world is translated from the Greek oikoumene in
Matthew 24:14
And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in all the world, for a witness unto all nations, and then shall the end come.
Luke 2:1
It followed in those days: that there went out a commandment from August the Emperor, that all the world should be valued.

Word: ?????????
Pronounc: oy-kou-men'-ay
Strong:  #G3625
Orig: feminine participle present passive of 3611 (as noun, by implication,  of 1093); land, i.e. the (terrene part of the) globe; specially, the  Roman empire:--earth, world.   #G3611  #G1093
Use:  TDNT-5:157,674 Noun Feminine

Ironically the same oikoumene appears in
Romans 10:18
But I ask: have they not heard? No doubt, their sound went out into all lands: and their words into the ends of the world.

Revelation 3:10
Because thou hast kept the words of my patience, I will keep thee from the hour of temptation, which will come upon all the world, to tempt them that dwell upon the earth.

The Gospel account was first proclaimed by it's witnesses to the known world, then that New Testament written account was completed. Let the New Testament fulfillment interpret itself respectfully to all creatures and nations on earth:
Gospel to be published to the known world:
Mark 13:10
And the gospel must first be published among all nations.
Gospel then opened according to the published record written to the Romans:
Romans 16:25-26
25To him that is of power to establish you according to my gospel, where with I preach Jesus Christ, in opening of the mystery which was kept close since the world began,  26and now is opened at this time and declared in the scriptures of prophecy, at the commandment of the everlasting God, to stir up obedience to the faith published among all nations:  

Gospel to be preached:
Mark 16:15
And he said unto them: Go ye into all the world, and preach the gospel to all creatures:
Gospel preached and recorded:
Colossians 1:23
if ye continue grounded and stablished in the faith, and be not moved away from the hope of the gospel, whereof ye have heard, how that it is preached among all creatures, which are under heaven, whereof I Paul am made a minister.

God validates HIS message with the New Testament account fulfilled:
John 17:3
This is life eternal that they might know thee that only very God: and whom thou hast sent Jesus Christ.

Acts 1:7-8
7 He said unto them: It is not for you to know the times, or the seasons which the father hath put in his own power:  8but ye shall receive power of the holy ghost which shall come on you. And ye shall be witnesses unto me in Jerusalem, and in all Jewry, and in Samary, and even unto the world's end.  

Acts 2:1-6
1When the fiftieth day was come, they were all with one accord gathered together in one place.  2And suddenly there came a sound from heaven as it had been the coming of a mighty wind, and it filled all the house where they sat.  3And there appeared unto them cloven tongues, as they had been fire, and it sat upon each of them:  4and they were all filled with the holy ghost, and began to speak with other tongues, even as the spirit gave them utterance.  5 There were dwelling at Jerusalem jews, devout men, which were of all nations under heaven.  6When this was noised about, the multitude came together and were astonied, because that every man heard them speak his own tongue.  

Romans 10:18
But I ask: have they not heard? No doubt, their sound went out into all lands: and their words into the ends of the world.

Mt 28:18-20 wrote: Yesus came and spake unto them, saying:
ALL POWER is given unto me in heaven, and in earth. (As my father sent me, so send I you.) Go therefore and teach all nations, baptising them in the name of the father, and the son, and the holy ghost: {Go make disciples of all the peoples in my name} Teaching them to observe (in keeping) all things, whatsoever I commanded you. And lo, I am with you alway even until the end of the world. (the sovereign Lord promised to be with HIS faithful all the days even to the consummation of the ages)Here endeth the Gospell off S. Mathew.

An important question remains; How will the Lord God return?
That is covered in the following topics:
1.) "rapture" of the wicked.
2.) taken to the clouds, when
3.) the Kingdom
4.) Revelation for our time
5.) The Unveiling
jadmin
Site Admin

Return to STUDIES